A Gigantic Adventure Awaits!
Welcome one and all – welcome Steampunks; welcome people who aren’t Steampunk at all; welcome to the fascinated and the curious, the veterans and the totally uncertain. Welcome, all of you, to one of the friendliest Steampunk events anywhere!
It’s true that we’re the largest ticketed Steampunk event in the world…but the World’s Fair is an incredibly individual experience. That’s because we use that size to sprawl out like a massive, whimsical carnival over many tens of thousands of square feet – you can travel through the whole event as if it were an adventure, a gigantic playground, or an enormous contraption filled with magic, wonder, and, in some places, absinthe fairies.
Come look around our site! We are brimming with entertainment, live music, celebrations, games, theatre, social activities, things to taste and try, new experiences, lots more music, friendly people, wondrous surprises, discussions, talks, cabaret, and much, much more.
This is going to be amazing – come be a part of it!
Buy tickets here!
Get your hotel room here!
Writing Contest in Conjunction with JukePop Serials!
Fancy yourself an author? Show us what you got! Here’s an exciting contest we have going with our friends over at Jukepop Serials.
Here’s what you need to do to participate:
1. Register for your JukePop account ahead of time at http://www.jukepop.com/.
2. Familiarize yourself with our publishing platform, we are a serial fiction site and publish stories in installments (chapter format). Contest winner will be determined by valid reader +Votes and reader retention based on our analytics.
3. Submit your first chapter at anytime. Yes, that’s right, we just need your first chapter to get started. Log into your JukePop account and go to My Account -> Submit to submit your first chapter. On JukePop’s submission page, first question – please select Steampunk World’s Fair to submit to from the drop down menu. Also note our formatting requests.
4. After your first chapter is submitted, our JukePop Editor will review your submission and get back to you within 1 – 2 weeks on steps to take to officially publish your story. If you submit before the contest starts we will get back to you the week the contest starts.
5. If your submission is accepted, you’ll be notified via email and need to follow the instructions in the email to officially publish your story to the page dedicated to Steampunk World’s Fair authors.
6. Once your story is published, you will be able to publish future chapters directly to the site at your own pace. Pace your chapter updates so that readers get to enjoy a couple new chapters every week or two. During this time, promote your story to all friends and family to get them to read and +Vote. You can use our Facebook Share and Twitter Tweet buttons to get the word out. If you have a personal blog, tell everyone there. Also on Steampunk forums.
JukePop Contest Terms and Conditions:
1. The contest period starts on May 1st, 2014 and runs through Aug 1st, 2014.
2. Winner will awarded $100 and determined by the number of valid +Votes received and reader retention during the contest period. Contest must have at least 10 accepted entries to run.
3. All entries must be original and cover art free of any copyright infringements. All fiction genres considered except Fan Fiction and Erotica.
4. Winners will be notified by Aug 15th, 2014. Cash award payments will be sent within 45 days after the winners are notified. All payments will be made via PayPal (www.paypal.com).
5. All entries will get a chance to continue to publish on JukePop, pending the quality and popularity of the story. (And start collecting monthly cash rewards.) Winning serial will be featured on JukePop’s site and social media channels.
6. All participating authors retain rights to their work.
7. All entries that qualify will get a chance to be listed at libraries.
““Absinthe, O my lively liquor / It seems, when I drink you / I inhale the young forest’s soul / During the beautiful green season”.
-Raoul Ponchon, 1886
We are a merry crew, here at The Steampunk World’s Fair! Those who are of age are invited to join us at a tasting of some varieties of absinthe, as well as some bonus liqueurs. Both of our tastings are hosted by some of our most rousing headliners. (Note: tickets to each event are limited.)
Friday at 9pm, $30 (Hosted by Eli August!) Here’s a bit of Eli’s work:
Saturday at 8pm, $30 (Hosted by Wyck!) Here’s a bit of Wyck does…namely, stick his hand in a wolf trap. No, we’re not kidding.
The Long Dark Teatime
A dark night of the soul isn’t so bad over a little Darjeeling.
Friday at 10pm. $20.
Purchase tickets here.
Victorian Secrets for Today’s Seamstresses
Generations of seamstresses have passed down sewing secrets, many of which are no longer in common usage today . . . but boy, are they clever! Some of the most useful can be found in this presentation, which covers everything from the basics of stitching, boning, and hemming to the more esoteric concepts of design to hide figure faults and seam placement to distract the eye and flatter form. We’ll even throw in the Scotch Tape zipper trick (which isn’t actually Victorian, but is dead useful anyway!) for free!
Musical Saw for Beginners
Join the luminous and talented Crystal Bright, of Crystal Bright and the Silver Hands, for an interactive demonstration where any level of musician or non-musician will learn the basics of how to play the musical saw.
A limited number of saws and bows will be provided for students to learn, hands-on, how to make this tool an unexpectedly haunting and ethereal instrument.
Be sure to catch Crystal Bright and the Silver Hands’ musical performance at the World’s Fair, as well!